Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic

I just found a lump in my dog's stomach that i don't think

Customer Question

hi - i just found a lump in my dog's stomach that i don't think was there a few days ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: lola - 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about lola?
Customer: she is a frenchie she is acting normal, the lump doesn't seem to hurt it was def not there a few days ago
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Has he had any lumps in the past?. Does the lump feel firm or soft?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi the lump is new - I have not felt it before. It is hard, and it is right under the belly button - it does not hurt her when I press it, and she is acting totally normal. No other issues.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She has never had a lump before.

Okay thanks for the additional information. No history of any recent trauma? When dealing with lumps, I usually discuss a few options with owners. One is if you are worried about the lump at all that you should have it tested. There are two ways to have it tested. One is to have it surgically removed and have it submitted for a biopsy. Another way is to have your veterinarian attempt to aspirate cells from the mass and submit to a lab for analysis. Or you can monitor it to see if it changes in size or shape. Masses that change in size or shape quickly tend to be more of a concern in comparision to those that are very slow growing.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Alleyne