Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is about 14 and is swollen in stomach and in the

Customer Question

My dog is about 14 and is swollen in stomach and in the throat area. She has been sick for a couple of weeks. I think she needs put down. Can I do it at home. Please help!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kodi, I thought she had bloat but she has lived too lng.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kodi?
Customer: No that is the main thing.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  John Clark replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear about Kodi. It is possible to do euthanasia at home. It may depend on the area that you live in.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am in Steelville, MO

There are specific veterinary services that will do home euthanasia and then there are also many local vets that will offer that service as well. Living in larger cities helps. Have a look at this directory:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is nothing in my area, can I use insulin and what would happen...

I would not attempt that. There is a specific euthanasia agent that causes the heart to stop rapidly. Insulin over dose would not do that. It would cause seizures.

You could try contacting:

They may come to your area?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

I need to second ***** *****'s dissuading your euthanizing your own pet. Please read the following:

Home euthanasia rebuttal

I understand your wanting to help Kodi leave her life behind but you really don't want to try overdosing her. It's not as easy as you might imagine. if you're concerned about the stress of bringing her to his vet, a housecall vet can come to you instead and that, in my mind, is the best approach of all. The following was written by Dr. Patty Khuly who goes into this process in depth:

"Twice in as many weeks I’ve been asked whether I would authorize the at-home euthanasia of a pet…with a household stash of controlled drugs.

Both individuals asking are in the human medical profession. That’s why I’m guessing their query emerged out of (1) an expectation that a house call option was not available; and (2) an understanding that these things can be done at home by someone who knows what they’re doing.

While wrong on number one (several vets in my area make themselves available for at-home euthanasias, including myself), they’d be right on number two — by referencing number one. Some things are best left to the healthcare providers who do it on a regular basis.

Though it is indeed possible to usher your pet from this world on an overdose of oral barbiturates or expired oxycodone prescribed for your last surgery, you won’t catch me recommending it — even to my good friends (in fact, one of those asking about this possibility was a human doc and a friend).

And it’s not just the legal angle here that makes me a naysayer when it comes to DIY home euthanasias — nor the money thing (in case you think me mercenary enough to protect my profession and its precious euthanasia income stream). What makes me nervous are the possibilities…

Imagine what would happen if things didn’t go just right.

Let’s say your dog refuses to take more than six of the pills and you’ve somehow calculated that twenty would be a sufficient dose. Let’s say he then has a hard time breathing and you can’t for the life of you get more into him now that he’s so stressed. That’s a nightmare scenario.

Or how about the dog who throws up her load of (how many?) pills while you’re sitting around waiting to say goodbye. What do you do then?

The possibility of something going horribly awry is too great — even if it’s a minor risk — to ever chance it. Not when other options are so readily available. I mean, we don’t live in backwoods Bolivia. This is the U.S., where anything can be had safely, painlessly and conveniently when it comes to pet euthanasia.

Not just that, but it’s like fast food at my place when it comes to euthanasia. "Have it your way" is my motto. I’ll do it at a park in the dark, on a train in the rain…

You get the picture. I’ll customize the entire experience to your taste, as I know other vets will. Want to sedate your pet before I arrive? Let me know, I’ll make it easy for you to do this. I’ll sit at the Starbucks sipping coffee while it takes effect. Want to be in your favorite park? I’ll meet you there.

There’s no need to take these matters into your own hands (as we hear humans do when faced with end of life issues no healthcare provider will sanction).

While I understand the desire to control a pet’s death personally, it’s fraught with too many pitfalls owners might never consider. Some things are, inevitably, best left to the professionals."

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.