How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 4855
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog eat about a table spoon full of coumatetralyl. She is

Customer Question

Hello, my dog eat about a table spoon full of coumatetralyl. She is a female golden retriever of 15kgs.
Is this ok?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** How long ago did this ingestion of the coumatetralyl happen? This is a Vitamin K antagonist that causes internal bleeding. It is something that if enough is consumed can definitely cause a fatal situation to develop. When I have toxicities where a Vitamin K antagonist is involved, I will always recommend getting to your vet / an ER clinic ASAP to have them induce vomiting and to give activated charcoal to reduce the amount that is absorbed. This decreases the toxic amount that gets into their system. Then I will always start the antidote for it - Vitamin K1. This poison has an antidote and I just don't want to chance it and assume that a toxic dose wasn't consumed or that "enough" was vomited back up.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She ate it about 20 mins ago just after her dinner (rice, chicken mince & makerel) on her full stomach. No veterinarians around in less than 30min
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Inducing vomiting can be done successfully at home with some pets. Here is a link on it.

If a veterinarian is 30 minutes away, it is still something that getting to them is very, very much advised. Some dogs don't vomit at home and this takes more time away from inducing vomiting successfully. I will again recommend activated charcoal and the Vitamin K1 as again it is the antidote.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Here is a good link on this type of poison and what it can do.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions