Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

A small yorkshire terrier licked up some ant granules

Customer Question

a small yorkshire terrier licked up some ant granules yesterday. He vomited several times, but i was wondering if we should go to the vet, and if anything could be done at this point
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the yorkshire terrier will be able to digest that. What is the yorkshire terrier's name and age?
Customer: Barkly, and about a year
JA: How old is Barkly,?
Customer: 1yo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Barkly,?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

What was the active ingredient in this product?

How long has it been since he vomited last?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was wrong about the breed; miniature schanuzer,, Lambda-cyhalothrin 0.04% granules, yesterday
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
getting answers
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

No worries about the breed and while you check those, I will start composing a treatment plan.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
last vomit 5:30 AM yesterday
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His guns are pink and brown, as usual.
They're as damp as usual.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you again,

Now in regards ***** ***** chemical, it can cause gut upset, oral/skin irritation, and with large doses we can see neurological signs. Thankfully, the strength you listed is a low one and if we are only seeing vomiting since yesterday, we'd assume a low toxicity here.

Therefore, we'd expect this to be as severe as signs may be and can consider using some supportive care to soothe his stomach. To start, if since he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, we can see some serious symptoms with this chemical but his ingestion sounds to be low dose and therefore low risk. Therefore, if he was still actively vomiting and couldn't keep anything down then we would want him seen at this point. But since his gums are normal and it has been quite a while since that last vomit, we can use the above as we monitor over the weekend. And as long as he settles, we are happy and don't need to rush him in.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Seems his happy nippy self
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome,

Good, I am glad that he is and the above should just help soothe any residual nausea from this.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------