Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 50 pound boxer jumped on the counter last night and took

Customer Question

My 50 pound boxer jumped on the counter last night and took several of my older dogs Rimadyl tablets (75 mg). I just discovered this - she seems fine now but should I bring her into the the hospital?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today.

If you think he had more than 1-1/2 of these tablets, then we are best to have him seen at this point. Higher than that would be an overdose for his weight. Mild overdoses can cause stomach upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) but can also risk causing stomach ulcers and perforation. As well, high overdoses can damage the kidneys.

Since we don't know how many he may have had, we need to tread with care. As well, since we do not know how many hours ago this happened, we cannot be sure what state of absorption he is in and thus IV fluids to flush this out and protect the kidneys would be ideal.

Otherwise, any delay in having him seen and you can at least try to protect his stomach. His vet will dispense gastroprotectants but you can also start an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ every 12 hours. These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. And once that is on board, you can offer small meals of light diets frequently to give the stomach else to chew on. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )