Craig Fujioka
Craig Fujioka, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Yorba Regional Animal Hospital

I have a 8 wk old English cream puppy. He has sores/bumps

Customer Question

I have a 8 wk old English cream puppy. He has sores/bumps under chin and around mouth. 1 ear has wet sounds and fells like right in front of both ears is swollen. He is shaking his head and is kinda scratching it every once in a while. There was brownish wet on q-tip . Down by the shoulders on both side of neck are lumps. Around the collar area. He was on Science diet large breed puppy food . We have been adding bentiful puppy chow to that. We did stay in a hotel for 2 day to pick up him from the breeder. I can't tell if his ears are hot.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Craig Fujioka replied 1 month ago.

Greetings: I'm sorry to hear that your new puppy is not feeling well. I am an ER vet with 16 years experience and I will try and help answer any questions that you may have. The symptoms you are describing seem to be separate issues. The sores on his chin is likely a dermatitis - which will likely respond to antibiotics. The issues with his ears sound like an ear infection. I would not continue to use Q tips as you can actually cause harm and can push the infection deeper, making it more difficult to treat. He will need to have his ears examined and cleaned appropriately by a veterinarian and medications prescribed. The lumps on the side of his neck sounds like it could be puppy strangles, but there are other possible causes. You can look it up online and see if it matches what you are seeing. With puppy strangles the usually treatment is high dose steroids. Your puppy should be examined and worked up by a veterinarian to determine exactly the cause. I hope I was able to help you answer some of your questions. I hope you can get your puppy into a vet tomorrow to have him checked out. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask. I hope everything goes well. If I was able to help you with the answers I have given, please rate my response, so that I can be compensated for my time.

Thank You