Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I don't have any money, Randomly today we called him into

Customer Question

I don't have any money
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Randomly today we called him into our bedroom because it's time to go to bed. I have a Male German shepherd. A year and 6 months. He got up and started crying. He refuses to go on furniture or up in our bed. Because he can't help, but cry when we does.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Prince
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Prince?
Customer: Not for any major problems
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Hip dysplasia - congenitally poorly formed hips - would be my initial concern in any young German shpeherd who is painful when rising from a prone position and having difficulty jumping up or down or navigating steps. In most cases this is addressed with prescription nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) from his vet and neutraceuticals such as fish oil (dosed at 20 mg/lb of the EPA daily in the fish oil) and glucosamine/chondroiton sulfate over the counter products.

I understand your financial constraints. Aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily can be helpful in a pinch. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg/lb thrice daily is OK but isn't antiinflammatory as is aspirin. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.