Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My dog ate a whole pack of orbitz gum there is no vet clinic

Customer Question

My dog ate a whole pack of orbitz gum there is no vet clinic open around me or an emergency clinic that is close ūüėě I got her to vomit.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxy and she is 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxy?
Customer: She is a pug, has bad hips and eye issues as well as allergies but is heathy otherwise
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 3 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. How long ago did Roxy eat the gum? How soon after ingestion were you able to get her to vomit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was cleaning so I'm not exactly sure but I think I found it after about 15-20 mins of her eating it I gave her hydrogen peroxide and she threw up a lot of bile and food and the gum she ate

good job getting her to throw up. Orbit gum has xylitol which can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and liver issues. If you are not able to get her to someone tonight, then she needs to go to your veterinary hospital first thing in the morning. She will need to have some bloodwork checked. The liver issues associated with xylitol can take a few days to materialize. They may want to treat her with activated charcoal to try and absorb any that is still in her intestinal tract.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay!! Thank you!

Your welcome. If you are satisfied with my answer then please take time to rate my response. You can still post on this thread, even after rating. Take care.