Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Should I spay my toy poodle the day my toy poodle comes

Customer Question

Should I spay my toy poodle the day my toy poodle comes home?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. As the spay surgery can be quite traumatic I personally would let her settle in for 10 days or so before such surgery so she will be familiar with her surroundings and have a comfortable familiar place to come home to after the surgery.

2. As long as she is not actually in season then at the moment then this should not affect your other dogs.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Thanks. But should I not do it the day of geting her?
I don't want to introduce her to our dogs and 10 days later have to seperate her and then having to reintroducing?

Hello again,

Personally I would not do it the same day, waiting a short time until she is familiar with her surroundings and her new dog companions is going to be the least stressful way for her ...

Regards,

Dr Scott