Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

My dog has a punture wound from my other dog biting her. I

Customer Question

My dog has a punture wound from my other dog biting her. I cleaned the leg but it seems swollen and warm today. I have kflex 500 mg .could this help her to not get infected. How much should i give
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No it looks clean
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sadie shes a american bully 2 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?
Customer: No shes a good dog maybe 50lbs or so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Clavamox is the best antibiotic for bite wounds. Cephalexin can be used at 30 mg/kg orally every 12 hours. How old is the bite wound?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last night
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How could i get clavamox

That is a prescription drug that you would need to get from a veterinarian. Do you have a local vet that you could see tomorrow?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cleaned it with peroxide and put neosporin on ladt nite and wrapped it .today i used vetricyn but it seems alittle warm and swollen. Shes still very active
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I really cant afford the visit

That's okay. I get it. So you use the other antibiotic. It is better than nothing. Don't wrap the leg. Leave it open and make sure that she is not licking. You will need to pick up an elizabeth collar at a pet store if she is. Licking only introduces bacteria from the mouth and will make the infection worse. A 50 pound dog can have 500 mg of cephalexin twice daily. Make sure it is given with food to avoid stomach upset. You can do warm compresses with epsom salt in warm water to help with inflammation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you ill try that unless you can get me a script i could yakebto the pharmacy

It is illegal for me to script out medications for a dog that I have not personally seen, sorry. Please continue to post questions as they arise. You can also post pictures of her wounds. Take care.