PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My 10 week old puppy (part chi/minpin) ingested aloe vera

Customer Question

My 10 week old puppy (part chi/minpin) ingested aloe vera from a plant and now will not ear or drink and is lethargic. We just spent $600 on the mother for eclampsya and are unable to afford the vet or ER. Any advice for nutrition would be appreciated. He has had diarrhea and vomiting. He is taking some water from a syringe. Advice please. Thank you.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: We believe he is improving somewhat
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

As you may well have learned, aloe very is mild to moderately toxic to dogs. We commonly see vomiting, diarrhea, depression, refusal to eat or drink, etc.

It would be highly recommended to have him examined and treated by a vet, but I can also give you some things to try at home. With him being a small breed dog and one that is young, keeping his blood sugar up will be extremely important. To help with his symptoms, we can calm the stomach with pepcid and use a high fiber, bland diet to firm the stool.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. If needed, use this exclusively and give via syringe, if needed. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?