Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My sons dog, chewed a battery in half last night. She seems

Customer Question

My sons dog, chewed a battery in half last night. She seems fine. No vomiting, no red or raw spots on tongue, and no gray looking tongue. She is eating and drinking fine. Will she be ok?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No not they we are aware of.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Luna and she is 8 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luna?
Customer: No she is very healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr . Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok

thank you. The contents of the battery are an alkaline corrosive and cause ulceration. Ulceration may not show up for up to 12 hours. The quicker the ulcers show up the more severe they are. If there are no ulcers in the mouth at this point, that is good news. There is still a small possibility that some went into her esophagus. Ideally, you want to have her on famotidine to decrease acid secretion and a carafate slurry to coat any injured areas in the esophagus or stomach. Famotidine is over the counter (Pepcid AC) and can be given at a dose of 1 mg per 2 pounds body weight once daily. Finally, you need to be certain that she did not ingest any portion of the casing. If the battery pieces are all there, then this is unlikely. You should talk to your local veterinarian about getting her checked out and starting her on a carafate slurry. Please ask any additional questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you very much. I eill have my son call his vet.

You are very welcome. If you are satisfied with my answer, then please take time to rate my response. You are still able to post on this thread for a few days, even after rating. Take care