Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

My 5 y/o miniature schnauzer female was just diagnosed with

Customer Question

My 5 y/o miniature schnauzer female was just diagnosed with bladder stones. The Xrays looked full of them. Besides the pain & costs of surgery, is there affordable medical treatment which could break up the stones through foods or holistic care? I don't even know if a holistic vet would just add more pain & cost to my darling dog. Any advice? Her symptoms are that she frequently urinates, once or twice per day with some pink, but often without her knowledge & clear.
Thank you for your consideration.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am so sorry for your concerns about Arabella's urinary bladder stones. Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon problem in some breeds of dogs, & schnauzers are a bit overrepresented when it comes to this condition.

So, being a Schnauzer is the first link to Arabella developing stones. The second link is just how her body eliminates waste products through her urine. Perhaps she had a urinary tract infection that got this whole thing started, but once the conditions are there to develop a stone, it continues like a snowball rolling downhill, & each stone gets bigger & bigger over time.

Surgery is the quickest way to deal with this as it is curative, but some types of stones can be dissolved with a special, prescription diet. Your veterinarian will need to know the makeup of the stones, usually done with a urinalysis & identification of the crystals within. But dissolving the stones may take many weeks, if the makeup of the stones can be dissolved with a diet ( some are not ). In the meantime, Arabella will still be uncomfortable, urinate small amounts frequently, & will be subject to infections. Surgery is relatively quick, hospitalization 1-2 days at most, pain medications control the pain, which should be no greater than being spayed, & she will feel so much better.

To prevent the stones from coming back, your veterinarian will probably recommend continuing the prescription diet for the rest of her life.

I hope this makes sense & has given you the information you were seeking. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you, & I hope Arabella is doing better soon.

Expert:  Dr Linda replied 2 months ago.
Hi Kelly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Arabella. How is everything going?

Dr Linda