Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog ate a diaper several days ago. Figured it out when I

Customer Question

My dog ate a diaper several days ago. Figured it out when I saw a pile of vomit of pieces and parts of diaper. He vomitted 3 times the following day and once last night. He is drinking some water but hasn't eaten. He is not himself. Usually he is an active black lab 2 year old. But now he hasn't barked or ran around since. I've seen him pee twice. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Buster. You'll need to have his abdomen X-rayed or, preferably, ultrasounded, to better understand how much and where more diaper is in his gastrointestinal tract. If it has already made its way into his large bowel, continuing to "watchful wait" would be appropriate but if it's in his small bowel after this length of time it's likely to be obstructing that small intestine and will need to be surgically removed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anything I can do before that to help if pass?

I understand that you're tempted to help move along any diaper but that can be dangerous without knowing the state of Buster's intestines at this time. Laxatives and purgatives can be of value when foreign material is in the large bowel but can be deadly if it's stuck in the small bowel. By increasing motility, obstructing foreign bodies can perforate weakened intestinal walls. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Jennifer,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buster. How is everything going?