Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Can a large dog, 135 pounds, take Acetaminophen for a

Customer Question

Can a large dog, 135 pounds, take Acetaminophen for a painful paw? Chasing a squirrel in our big yard, he tore a part of a pad of his left front paw. It does not look infected. He walks okay in the am ( this is day 2 ) but limping badly by evening. I do not see swelling. He is not sensitive when I compress on his joints on his limbs... but something is sore.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.

Hello again Kari,

Sorry to hear your dog has this problem, however I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. I am very glad you have asked this question rather than just going ahead and dosing your dog. The situation is that many common over the counter human pain killers such as Tylenol { acetaminophen } are not used often in dogs these days there are much better alternatives for controlling fever and pain and there have been incidents reported of side effects and toxicity with many of these drugs including acetaminophen. Basically this drug should be avoided in the dog.

2. There is one possibility open to you though, on a short term home remedy basis aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other human over the counter pain killers and this drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we have 81 mg. baby Aspirin. Ito is 135 lbs. so 675 mg to start? He seems in good spirits. He jumped off the bed onto his paw...I want to give him another day, but if it's bad in the morning I will take him into the vet. I just don't see any serious concerns except the limp.... worsening during the day. Thank you for the information. We will try aspirin.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the baby aspirin are coated. My husband wants me to ask if that's okay??

As far as the aspirin dose goes the dose is { 5 mg X 135 pounds } = 675 mg

Probably best give 8 of your 81 mg baby aspirin twice a day, that should be just fine for his size. Or you could also work it out with other strengths of adult aspirin.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Just picked up on the coating issue ...

Coated aspirin should be avoided in the dog as often they cannot digest the coating and it just goes straight through their system without being absorbed.

Best use non coated plain aspirin.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you! Luckily he was sleeping peacefully before I heard the first advise, so I will assess him tomorrow and get non coated, or take him to our vet.
Have a good night.

OK, good luck with him ...

I should be about for a while if you need me ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Kari,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his wound ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Kari,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ito. How is everything going?