Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My maltipoo is 10 months and I've noticed little drops of

Customer Question

My maltipoo is 10 months and I've noticed little drops of blood around her sleep area and potty area? She's acting normal too. I have been changing her food lately and feeding her table food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Layla
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Layla?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Has she had any diarrhea or difficulty urinating?

Is she spayed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No diarrhea and she is not sprayed
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

No difficulty urinating either? Has she had her heat cycle yet? If not, that is probably what is going on. Check her vulva to see if it is enlarged, or if there is any blood tinged drops around it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No she hasn't. Her vulva is swollen
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What should we do
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the information. She is most likely having her heat cycle now. You may need to get a sanitary diaper set up for her at your nearest pet store to keep her from being too messy. It will usually pass in 1-2 weeks. The color will probably change from red to a brownish color. Other than that, just ride it out. If she starts to act different in any way, have your vet check her out, especially if it is anywhere up to 2 months past her heat cycle finishing. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was following up to see how Layla was doing and if you had any further questions.