Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a shih tzu which has developed many pumps on her back

Customer Question

i have a shih tzu which has developed many pumps on her back of different sizes which excrete a waxy oily substance an occasionally burst an bleed she is healthy except for this but is 26.5 lbs which is to heavy an we are trying to bring her weight down. what do you think is wrong an who would you reccomend for this type of problem
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Jim, I believe you're describing follicular cyst/epidermal inclusion cyst/infundibular cyst formation common in Shih Tzus (erroneously called sebaceous cysts). Unfortunately, barring surgical resection of these, there's no manner in which to prevent their formation and subsequent enlargement and rupture. Can you upload a photo(s) of these to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/