Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

MY dog just ate a 5 mg of melatonin tablet what do I do. She

Customer Question

MY dog just ate a 5 mg of melatonin tablet what do I do. She is a poodle weighing 8 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now this is a big dose for her, but this is a fairly safe supplement. Therefore, we're not likely to see any adverse effects just possible some gut upset, skin irritation or sedation.

With this in mind, we have a few options. If she just had this in the past 2 hours, you can choose to induce vomiting at home. To do so, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively (up to 8 hours after ingestion), you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise we can monitor and try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, this is a large dose for such a small dog, but the adverse signs tend to be mild and the above would be our potential avenues for addressing this. Of course, if she becomes very nauseous or sedate, then her vet can start fluids to flush this from her system.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.