Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

The vet suggested valium to settle my 15yodogs distress

Customer Question

The vet suggested valium to settle my 15yodogs distress related to his cough as he has been on meds for a collapsed trachea. I will take him to the vet tomorrow as I want my family to be with us if his time has is iver.. I haven't got valium only 25mg tablets of seroquel can I give him a fraction of that..Sorry, I feel ignorant asking this. Many thanks Glenda
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. How old is Glenda?
Customer: He is 15 1/2 also with cushings and managed problems
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Glenda?
Customer: No, but he thinks he is now at his end but he stps coughing when he's out walking.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. I need to ask some questions. What is his name? What medications has he been on for the collapsed trachea and what ones is he still on? Is he still eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
eating and drinking well, just indistress with his non stop cough
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

That is great that he's eating and drinking well. If he's doing that and is able to stop coughing when on his walks, I would have hopes that it isn't time to let him go. The coughing may sound bad, but it isn't affecting him to the point where he's that distressed by it it would seem. You can't give the Seroquel as that won't help him. You should get him to your vet to have them see what else they can add into his treatments to help him out. Butorphanol and hydrocodone are two opiod medications that can get added into the mix if they haven't already. With collapsing tracheas, they shouldn't ever be on a collar as that can put pressure on the trachea to induce coughing events. Minimizing things that can stimulate coughing is needed too - no dusting or smoke around to possibly irritate the trachea.