Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

She has pimple like bumps that ooze puss and blood and she

Customer Question

She has pimple like bumps that ooze puss and blood and she itches constantly.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like you're probably dealing with allergies and secondary pustules on the skin. These pustules are often times the result of allergy irritation and secondary bacterial or yeast infections.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is the treatment. I have her on grain free food. They have her on apoquil for her itching. I keep hearing that apoquil is not safe for dogs.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

The best treatment is managing the allergies. The first step is allergy testing. This is done with your regular vet or a veterinary dermatologist. They will then use allergy immunotherapy to de-sensitize the immune system.

Here is a nice link on how that works:

If it's something we can prevent like mites or fleas or food allergies, then that is done. More often than not, it's a combination of inside and outside allergens.

For now, you can use Benadryl to help with the itching. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight every 6-8 hours, as needed. Apoquel and steroids (Prednisone) can also help. Apoquel is much safer than steroids. They are still just treating the signs. The only thing we have approaching a cure is immunotherapy.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But what doesnt make sensr is that if she is on antibiotics her skin heals up. And the itching goes down.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

That's pretty typical. The itchiness is probably mild when there is not a secondary skin infection. There is probably still an underlying allergic component, though. Once the rash and secondary skin infection erupts, it's really itchy.

The allergy test clearly shows what she's allergic to and what she needs help dealing with.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 month ago.

No problem, happy to help.