Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog has.something similar and I'm pretty concerned.

Customer Question

my dog has.something similar and I'm pretty concerned. Hopefully you can help me out. I take very good care of her and she does have a regular vet at South Hampton Veterinary in Houston,Tx. If you could give me a little advise would greatly be appreciated until I see her vet.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

What exactly is the problem with the dog?

How long has the problem been going on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello yes my dog has had this problem for about 2 weeks the nipple is pink and swollen and from her scratching it it has a couple of cuts it has grown double in size in about 2 weeks
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that information. If it is swollen then there is likely an infection.

Is the dog spayed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I'm trying to load pictures but it won't let me
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

What we worry about with females is that bacteria gets into the teat and causes an infection, Mastitis. This is more common in females that are not spayed.

I am going to direct you to a link on this for further reading.

Mammary gland swelling can be from a variety of reasons . You can read causes here,

Continue to clean the area and you can use a warm compress to try to draw the infection out until you can see your vet.