Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

If your puppy bit a toad and is foaming at the mouth what do

Customer Question

If your puppy bit a toad and is foaming at the mouth what do you do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

Hello Emily,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Emily,

I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. This is usually no problem, toads are able to excrete a slight toxin from their skins which is bitter and designed to make animals which have picked them up drop them at once and so the toad escapes. This toxin would make your pup foam at the mouth and salivate and sometimes vomit.

2. There are many varieties of toads and if this is a non toxic species then all you need do here is to flush out your dog's with lots of luke warm water and the situation will normally correct itself in a few hours.

3. Be aware though that in some parts of the world including parts of the USA there are poisonous toads and toad poisoning can be very serious or even life threatening Here is a link to an accurate article which covers this in depth, including expected symptoms : LINK

4. What to do? : You should keep an eye on your pup for present and if things are getting progressively worse then you would suspect toxic toad poisoning and then of course call an ER vet without delay. In any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your pup's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your puppy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the toad incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Emily,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Emily Hund. How is everything going?