Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

I've a question. I've a toy female Eskimo, she's 4 years old

Customer Question

Hi I've a question. I've a toy female Eskimo, she's 4 years old & sometimes I let her lick my face this is the way she expresses herself. Then last Sunday I noticedon't a small sore in corner of my nose. The following day I noticed it was growing, so I went into Instacare Dr swab it & it came bk positive for herpes virus. I'm 49 years old & never had a cold sore in my life, I'm so puzzled right now! I'd like to know can she carry this virus or get infected by it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Winter
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winter?
Customer: No Winter is healthy up to date on her shots
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your concern! We can see herpes virus in cats and dogs, but he viruses are species specific, meaning cats have a specific cat herpes and dogs have a specific dog herpes, and they cannot catch or spread the herpes viruses they can carry to humans, so your dog didn't transmit the virus to you, and you cannot give it to your dog.