Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Someone ate several dasuquin tablets and I'm guessing it was

Customer Question

Someone ate several dasuquin tablets and I'm guessing it was my 15 lb terrier or my 25 lb terrier. I'm estimating 50-60 tabs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: It happened in the last 6 hours
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the terrier?
Customer: The Bigger terrier is 11 years old and relatively healthy with the exception of stiff joints. The smaller terrier has had seizures and is on hamper oil for that but have not witnessed any seizures since last April. She is six years old The larger terrier also had a runny stool when I got home
JA: What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Larger terrier is Tahoe and smaller terrier is Pippa
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, dasaquin is a very safe supplement and your dogs will not be in a life-threatening position by ingesting 50-60 tablets; they may develop gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea otherwise they will be fine. I would keep an eye on them for the next day or so, if they develop vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start them on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 for the smaller dog 1/2 tablet for the bigger dog every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If they continue to vomit after doing the above they will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Hi Margaret,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter