Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

My dog started daycare and came home with red paws and he

Customer Question

My dog started daycare and came home with red paws and he licks them. I kept him out of it for a few days and the redness went away. He's back at daycare again and the redness and irritation is back. Is it safe to assume its from a cleaning solution the daycare uses? Also what can I do to stop this from happening.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I'm reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

Yes, it can be the cleaning/disinfectant solution, especially if not rinsed properly and left to dry on surface. It could also be uncured concrete in the runs if it was poured in the last 6 mos. , especially with cleaning/disinfectant left to dry on it.

You should talk to the manager and tell him/her about the problem and have them rinse and dry runs before putting your dog on it.

Another possibility is an allergy to something at the facility. Most allergies in dogs manifest with itchy skin, often starting with the interdigital space between the toes.

Take your own food and treats to the facility and ask them to feed only your food. If the symptoms go away it might be a food allergy or intolerance.

Notify your vet so that Max can be checked.

Perhaps you went to bed.

Have I answered your question?

Do you have any more?

If you are satisfied kindly rate this service