Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Daisy is a shih Tzu dog, she isn't eating, has diarrhea and

Customer Question

Daisy is a shih Tzu dog, she isn't eating, has diarrhea and is vomiting , me and my boyfriend agreed to take care of her for she was living in a terrible environment, today her eyes aren't opening and if opened by force they are filled with mucus and her left eye has some kind of transparent layer of something over it , I am afraid she might be going blind . I don't have the money to take her to a vet, and worry for her life. Help?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: * Daisy is trying to eat hard dog food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy , she is 8 to 10 months.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: she was filled with flees and tricks when we accepted her , we cleaned her up completely .
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correction : she is eating and drinking water, it is her right eye that has a coat of a transparent layer on it.
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Just to clarify the history: She is eating and drinking but also vomiting and has diarrhea. She is a puppy and she is also having significant discharge from her eyes and now one eye looks cloudy.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correction she is 2 years old everything else is correct .

The discharge from her eyes could be due to allergies or a bacterial infection. If the cornea on one eye looks opaque, then she likely has edema (fluid buildup) in the eye which can be from a corneal ulcer. vomiting and diarrhea are clinical signs that could be attributed to a number of different issues (allergies, pancreatitis, gastroenteritis, infection, toxicity, etc). If you are not able to take her to a veterinarian, then you need to use a warm, wet wash cloth to wipe the mucous around her eyes several times each day. You can order a solution called "idrops" online and put a drop onto both eyes twice daily to help keep them moist. This is just for moisture and will not treat an infection. For the vomiting and diarrhea, I would stop any treats or people food and just feed a very bland diet for the next 5-7 days to see if this helps. You can give Pepcid AC 1 mg per 2 pounds body weight by mouth once daily to see if this helps her. It is very important that she see a veterinarian as soon as possible. You should contact your local animal shelter to see if they have any financial assistance programs for veterinary care. You can also google search veterinary care assistance. It really just depends on what state you live in. Lastly, if you are not able to care for her medical needs then she may be better served being turned over to a non profit rescue. There are shih tzu rescue groups. Just another option to consider. Please continue to ask questions and I will do all that I can to help.