Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I just found 2 6 week old pups, same litter, one male and

Customer Question

I just found 2 6 week old pups, same litter, one male and the other female.
Can I keep them together in the same cage? Also, when can I expect them to become house trained.
I take them out all the time and wait for them to pee and defecate but they still have accidents? Am I expecting too much of them?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. There isn't any problem with having 2 pups from the same litter. Many people adopt or purchase litter mates to keep together. You can keep them in the same kennel, but you may need to get separate kennels at some point as they grow bigger, or if they tend to make a big mess in the kennel (i.e.; urination and defecation). At 6 weeks old, I wouldn't expect much from them as far as house training goes. It is a good age to start, though. Taking them outside every hour is a good idea. Use the command you want them to recognize as they are going (i.e.; "Go Potty"). Praise them heavily after going outside and give them a small treat. Make sure they understand that going outside is for going to the bathroom first before they start playing. If they go outside and just play and don't use the restroom, bring them back in and try again later. You can keep pee pads down in the house but gradually move them closer to the door they will use to go outside. You can even put a bell on there and ring it when you take them out. That will teach them to ring the bell when they want to go out. If you catch them in the act in the house, you can give a firm no, pick them up and let them finish outside. Praise them for finishing outside as well. If you just find the mess and do not catch them in the act, it is too late to do anything. Just clean it up and move on. Puppies have to go to the bathroom after playing, eating and sleeping; so make sure you take them out after all those activities. If you employ positive reinforcement and consistency, potty training shouldn't be difficult. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was following up to see how your pups are doing and to see if you have any further questions.