Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has some obstruction in her intestines. I believe it

Customer Question

My dog has some obstruction in her intestines. I believe it is grass from our weekend camping trip. Is there anything I can do to help her push this through her body to avoid crisis
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if you think Ginger has a gut obstruction, we need to tread with care. This is because if left, they can potentially cause serious gut damage. Therefore, any signs of restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood) and we would want her seen urgently by the local vet.

Otherwise, if those signs are not present, we can start supportive care to push the grass through her gut. To start, we will want to feed her small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep her stomach settled. Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up her stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting the grass slipping through the gut. Though do be aware that when using the lubricants, we can see self limiting runny stools, but that tends to settle once we are finished using it.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. If she is showing none of those warning signs, then you can consider the above steps for her while keeping a close eye. But if you see any of those signs or want to err on the side of caution, then having her examined +/- xrayed would be ideal so you can appreciate if their is a blockage and whether there is any risk she won't be able to pass it. But otherwise we'd hope to use the above to settle her stomach and push this through.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.
Hi Cheryl,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ginger. How is everything going?

Dr. B.