Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 14 year old, spayed, female beagle. She has

Customer Question

hello, i have a 14 year old, spayed, female beagle. She has advanced arthritis especially in the hips. She normally wobbles when she walks and has been okay all summer. About 2 weeks ago she became lethargic and had blood in her right nostril. I brought her to the vet and they prescribed Vetmedin 5mg 2x per day and Clindamycin 150mg 2x per day for 10 days. She has become wobbly, lethargic and weak. She ways about 21 lbs and has been diagnosed with a heart murmur. While i don't see blood in her right nostril anymore I feel she still has some type of sinus infection going on. She has advanced/severe tooth decay as well. She has been on the vetmedin for about 10 days. I discontinued the vetmedin yesterday to see if it was an increased reaction to the medication. The vet said her blood sample came back miraculously very well. They said all her numbers were good. Her nose is dry and cracked. She paces back and forth before lying down. Any ideas?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: anyone there?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the beagle. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Sabrina
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sabrina?
Customer: I put everything in the question
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on the sinus/nasal signs, we do have a few concerns. One sided nasal bleeding can be related to dental disease (as tooth root infection erodes the bone between the mouth/nose) but we can also see this with fungal infections, bacterial infections (though usually both sides are involved), secondary to foreign bodies caught in the nose, or bleeding growths within the nose.

With these in mind and her continued sinus signs, you may need to speak to her vet about these other concerns. If the teeth are suspected to be the root cause for this, then she will need a dental and those rotten teeth removed to settle this. Otherwise an xray or nasal scoping (with a small camera) would be ideal to see into the nasal cavity and determine if these are an issue and need to be addressed. Finally, if you have seen pus, then sometimes we do need to swab the nasal discharge to culture for bacteria and ensure the right antibiotic is being used.

Overall, her signs suggest that while her vet is trying to treat a bacterial infection in the nose there is more afoot. Therefore, we'd need to consider these above underlying issues and address the one that is present if we want to settle these signs for Sabrina. And since she has severe arthritis and you have not mentioned proper pain relief for that, do make sure her vet has her on at least a dog safe anti-inflammatory(ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc) to ease her joint discomfort and keep her moving comfortably with her hips.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )