Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is about a year old, she's super active and playful

Customer Question

Hey there. My dog is about a year old, she's super active and playful and hyper most of the time. She loves going around the house, looking for somewhere to be mischievous with my other dog, who is her sister. But tonight she seems a little out of it. She won't leave her dog bed. I picked her up and placed her in a different room. She looked at me, took a few steps, looked at me again, and trotted back to her bed. Her stomach feels a little hard. Earlier today she was eating and drinking water, but I have not seen her do either tonight. She looks pretty sad. I'm scared it's something serious, and I would rather nip it in the bud than wait until it's something bad. Help is appreciated. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. While Mila's change in behavior is important to recognize, it isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. These are patients I would "watchful wait" for up to 72 hours to see if they remiss unaided or new symptoms arise which help localize the problem. May I have an update on Mila, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey there, I appreciate your response, regardless of the wait. She seems to be doing much better now. Her stools are normal. She is drinking water. She is running around and being playful again. So I'm not sure what happened, but maybe she had a bit of a tummy ache? I just worried because one of my dogs that passed away had similar symptoms of not wanting to leave her bed, and not eating, and her health quickly deteriorated in a matter of days. Doctors told us she had an infection in her bloodstream, and because she was so small and a puppy it spread quickly. But I will continue to keep an eye on Mila, just in case. Thank you!

What a good update! Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Yes, perhaps a little tummy ache. Please keep your eye on her and return to our conversation with any further questions or concerns you may have. You can bookmark this page for ease of return .