Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My boxer, over the last few days, has developed swollen

Customer Question

My boxer, over the last few days, has developed swollen glands and is sluggish, low food desire and seems very tired. This is a dog that is always happy, and very active. What is happening?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Winger is unwell, however I have worked out a reply for you below.

While a dog's { lymphatic } glands can become enlarged for a variety of reasons such as local infections you would always in these circumstances be on your guard about a disease called lymphoma which is a very serious form of cancer which is quite common in the dog and the first sign would be enlarged lymph node and lethargy. Of course many other diagnosis are possible but the best thing you can do for now is to have Winger checked over by your vet ASAP and have this possibility ruled out.

Since I have mentioned lymphoma I know you will be wanting to know more so I will tell you what I know about it. Hopefully your dog has something much less serious of course ...

1. This is a disease which will present with swollen lymph nodes in the neck and elsewhere. The only sure way to diagnose lymphoma is via a lymph node biopsy, you can suspect it on clinical signs but you will not be 100% sure. Blood tests are an aid to diagnosis but often do not present the whole picture.

2. There are a number of ways of treating lymphoma, one of which is by the use of a drug called prednisolone alone, this is given orally. If you go down this road your dog is likely to have a six week to two month remission period, during this remission period these dogs will be close on normal and have a good quality of life. At the end of the remission period the disease will come back with a vengeance and normally your dog will die very shortly after that.

3. There are more advanced treatment plans involving standard chemotherapy drugs which will give significantly longer periods of remission. However using steroids alone previously will very much reduce the effectiveness of them if you decide to change treatments. So you have to decide which way to go from the start.

4. On the chemotherapy protocols I have undertaken the side effects I have seen have normally been quite minimal. What you would normally achieve would be six to nine months of remission and normal life but then the drugs become ineffective and the dog slips away. Cures are in theory possible but I personally have rarely seen any but you would have a much better chance of success if your dog is dealt with by a specialist oncologist.

Here is a link to a very good web site which covers the subject in depth so you can research it all a bit more : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Winger is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his enlarged lymph nodes ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Winger. How is everything going?