Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My Yorkie suffers from tracheitis,and I would like to know

Customer Question

My Yorkie suffers from tracheitis,and I would like to know how to treat him Naturally/or with Herbs. His has inflammation and somewhat with honking/sore throat. I would like to make an herbal antibiotic and cough syrup. I have run out of hydrocodone and have no antibiotic. However, I have been treating with a natural/herbal formula called Vicbactra by Amber Technogoly. It has been somewhat effective but I'm not satisfied. Can you advise? Thanks.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. How old is Vicbactra?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 11yrs old. The name of the herbal formula is called Vibactra, sorry I misspelled it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about of?
Customer: He has been treated last a few months ago with Antibiotics/hydrocodone. But I've run out.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 3 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about alternative forms of treatment for your yorkie's breathing problems.
I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

I want to start by telling you I completely understand where you're coming from. The clinic where I work combines both natural forms of treatment and Western medicine. We see a lot of dogs with chronic coughs from collapsing trachea and other forms of tracheitis. It's also really common that Western medicine (drugs) can provide only a little relief from these symptoms, so we have a lot of pet owners who turn to alternative modalities.

The natural treatments that work best for these types of coughs show really good success rates, often eliminating the need for any medication whatsoever. Unfortunately, they are not things you can do yourself at home. The alternative/natural way to treat these types of coughs and get good results is with a combination of laser therapy and acupuncture.

I understand you would like to make some sort of herbal antibiotic/cough syrup. It would be nice if there was some type of natural remedy like that that would work, but at the risk of disappointing you, I need to let you know there isn't any such thing. As I said above, our clinic uses both Western and alternative modalities and has a heavy focus on natural treatment. Our only successful natural treatment for tracheitis of this type involves laser and acupuncture, not herbal remedies. There aren't any that work.

I'm so sorry to be the bearer of bad news in that regard, but am hopeful you'll be encouraged to know that there are natural treatments that could be very promising for Tuffy.

I hope this information was helpful to you.

Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.