Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

Rat terrier found Combat Roach bait and chewed. No idea how

Customer Question

Rat terrier found Combat Roach bait and chewed. No idea how much was in there. She also chewed off a piece of plastic about 1/2 in square. Not sure if she ingested it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup chewed on and ingested Combat Roach bait and chewed on the plastic bait station.

There are several different types of Combat Roach bait.

Can you please tell me the active ingredient of the type she chewed on?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Is the active ingredient Fipronil?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

If so that is good news. Fipronil is used in topical flea and tick medications for dogs and cats.

It is very effective against insects, affecting an insect's unique nervous system, but very safe in mammals because our nervous system is much different then an insect's. Thus it has a very low toxicity index in mammals.

If she is on a flea protection product with Fipronil as an active ingredient then she may experience mild symptoms of an overdose. But overdose symptoms usually occur with much higher doses then just part of one bait station would supply.

Symptoms of an overdose would be nausea, possible vomiting and diarrhea and muscle tremors. But again I would not expect to see these with such a low dose. I just want you to know what to watch for.

I would be more concerned about her eating the sharp plastic from the trap itself. That could lead to damage to her esophagus, stomach and intestines.

If she ate the plastic pieces those can be sharp and cause a perforation or scrapes on her intestinal lining, and if she ate enough (doesn't sound like it), a blockage is possible.You can feed her a bland diet with added fiber to help cushion sharp pieces. A homemade bland diet consists of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice or well cooked pasta. Feed several small meals a day. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal to help increase fiber, which will help push pieces through and cushion the sharp edges as they move through.

Feed this food for several days and if she is doing well then in 2-3 days gradually start mixing in her regular diet, more at each meal. It should take about a week to get her converted back.

Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy. This could be related to the plastic pieces.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 month ago.
Hi Steph Gould,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara