Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 8kg yorkie just swallowed one tablet of xenna which is a

Customer Question

hello,
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: my 8kg yorkie just swallowed one tablet of xenna which is a laxative containing 150-220mg of sennae anagustifoliae fructus extraxtun siccum (4-6:1)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oliver 2.5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oliver?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry I mistyped. the weight of the dog is 5kg and not 8kg!

No problem with the weight ...

Just typing out your answer now.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just making sure you're still working on the answer as I got a pop up asking if i want to awitch to a live phone call, which I do not

No problem with the phone call, hopefully I can advise you properly just by chatting here ...

I have dealt with just this sort of problem face to face quite a few times at my clinic in Essex.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

This is probably not such a serious situation, however I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. The situation is that these gentle plant based laxatives have a high margin of safety in the dog so the chances are that this is not going to turn into any serious sort of incident even with a small dog like Oliver. Of course you may see some degree of diarrhoea over the next couple of days but I would not expect worse than that. In any case this symptom should it occur will normally resolve on it's own over a 24 - 48 hour period.

2. That said where a dog has ingested a drug not intended for it, no matter how non toxic it may be best to recover it by inducing vomiting just to be on the safe side. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. Of course if you fail to induce vomiting and any serious symptoms do occur then you should have Oliver checked over by a vet without delay

{ Very unlikely }. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if his condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. I will try to induce vomitting as he ate it just about 20 min ago; however, the link doesn't work. i cannot actually see it

Sorry for that, here it is again ... : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Oliver is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Xenna ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?