PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have an 8yo chihuahua.......He has bad back legs. The vet

Customer Question

I have an 8yo chihuahua.......He has bad back legs. The vet said that it is normal in his breed for them to have knee problems specifically. For the last week or so he has been very lethargic. He mostly lays around and sleeps. However, his appetite is beyond normal and he goes to the bathroom fine. Do I need to take him back to the vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Louis 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Louis?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Did your vet tell you the cause of problems with his back legs? Arthritis? Luxating patellas?
2) Have any canine-safe NSAIDs been tried to see if this helps him?
3) Did I understand correctly that he's also eating more than normal?
4) Are you seeing any limping?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Luxating Patellas..........he is eating normally, he has always been a big eater......There is a bit of limping but the vet said that it was normal for his condition. When he does get up and move around he is unsteady.

I would go ahead and schedule an appointment with your vet. There is a surgery that can be performed on many dogs with luxating patellas, although its costly. That said, chihuahuas and other small breeds tend to live a long time so these types of surgeries can be good investments for a dog that is active and will benefit for years to come. If he's not already on an NSAID, I would ask your vet if a trial might be worthwhile. It can help you determine what symptoms are from the luxating patella(s) and what may be from discomfort. The unsteadiness may be linked to pain. My favorite for small breed dogs like Louis is metacam which is a liquid that you can mix into his food.

Let me know if I can help further. I hope Louis does well!