Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hi am Dr. Kline a small animal veterinarian and I hope I can help you with Zoey's problem today. My main concern is that Behr Paint (as with most paints) contains Ethylene Glycol which can cause acute renal (kidney) failure in dogs and cats. As little as a 1 tablespoon can cause acute renal failure in a dog. It sounds like you were able to rinse her mouth after you noticed her licking it, but do you know how much paint Zoey ingested?
Please give me a moment to look up the paint to find out exactly how much ethylene glycol is in it.
It sounds like Zoey didn't ingest a lot of paint, but I would be concerned about the ethylene glycol exposure. The amount in the paint is minimal, but like I said before it can take only a tablespoon to cause kidney failure. The symptoms that occur with ethylene glycol toxicity are two fold: Stage 1: Show signs of alcohol poisoning: walking drunk, drooling, vomiting, seizures, increased drinking and urination. This usually occurs in first 12 hours of ingestion. Stage 2: They seem to improve, but they are actually going into renal failure 12 to 24 hours post-exposure and then they can stop eating, have vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst and urination. Just to be safe I would recommend having Zoey examined by a veterinarian and possibly tested for Ethylene Glycol. There is a test that can be run and if it comes up positive treatment will be administered. I do not recommend making Zoey vomit as she could aspirate the paint and cause more issues. Baseline bloodwork might be needed to evaluate her kidney function. Sorry for the delay. I wanted to make sure I knew how much was in the paint.
I will also warn you that you may see some gastrointestional upset (vomiting and diarrhea) from the small volume of paint ingestion.
Most likely the rinsing of her mouth got it out of her system and she probably ingested very little. I would still recommend monitoring her for the symptoms I listed above and getting her examined by a veterinarian if anything occurs.
You are more than welcome and I hope I have answered all your questions and concerns about Zoey today. If you have anymore questions I would be more than happy to help and I hope your painting goes well minus the help of Zoey licking it. If you have anymore questions please reply if not if you could kindly rate me I would appreciate it. Have a wonderful day!
Is there anything else I can help you with today regarding Zoey?
My goal is to make sure you get all of your questions answered and you have all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer please rate it. If you are not satisfied please respond to this post and I will get back with you. Please note that our conversation is not intended to diagnosis and treat your pet. There needs to be a valid patient/client/doctor relationship by law to treat your animal. I always recommend following up with your veterinarian on any issues.