Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I think he may have strained or done something to his paw..

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nash he's a 8 almost 9 mths German Sheppard.. he weighs bout 81 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nash?
Customer: As a puppy n just recently he's had giardia... Right now he walks w very slight limp.. especially when he gets up from laying down.. but then seems to fade a lil
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Can you tell me, please, if Nash is lame on a front or rear leg? 8-9 months of age is an important age when considering orthopedic disorders in German shepards.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It looks to be his right front

Thank you. While any dog can suffer a simple injury - a bruise, sprain, or strain - which should respond to aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily and usually remiss within 7-10 days, we have to remember that German shepards are prone to a number of orthopedic diseases that need to be considered when lameness persists in spite of simple rest and aspirin. These include panosteitis - an inflammation of the long bones; elbow dysplasia (abnormality in how the elbow develops); shoulder dysplasia (abnormality in how the shoulder develops); and the rarer hypertrophic osteodystrophy which affects the growth plates in the long bones.

If you don't see a positive change with rest and aspirin, don't hesitate to have Nash's vet palpate (feel) Nash's leg from the tip of his toes to his shoulder and then X-ray areas that appear to be painful. Avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Acetaminophen is OK at 7 mg/lb thrice daily but it isn't antiinflammatory as is aspirin. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What type of aspirin...

The least expensive generic aspirin is fine. 81 lbs x 10 mg/lb with food twice daily = 810 mg twice daily. 810 mg/325 mg (an adult aspirin) = 2.5 adult aspirins every 12 hours with food.