petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

Pain in upper left flank with swelling. 12 years old,

Customer Question

Pain in upper left flank with swelling. 12 years old, ongoing problem. Sometimes worse than others. Can I give him baby aspirin. Weighs about 60 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Willis
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Willis?
Customer: He is in good health otherwise
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Willis today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

It would not be surprising to see degenerative joint disease (DJD) or otherwise known as arthritis in a larger dog of 12 years old. This can lead to pain and discomfort that can be intermittently more bothersome than others. It is not common to see swelling however and that concerns me. If this has not yet been evaluated by your veterinarian, I would definitely suggest that you start there for a more definitive diagnosis of what is causing the pain and swelling.

As far as the aspirin, I would definitely not advise you to give that. A baby aspirin would not be very effective as it is a pretty low dose. Even when aspirin is given at a higher dose, it is not a very effective pain reliever and has a high risk of causing GI upset and even ulceration. There are safer and more effective pain relievers that your vet can prescribe.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz