Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

My 4 1/2 year old standard poodle has had autoimmune

Customer Question

My 4 1/2 year old standard poodle has had autoimmune hemolytic anemia in his past. (As a puppy) he is exhibiting symptoms as if he might be having a relapse. He is panting and seems to have a fever. I am away from him and it is midnight and would take me two hours to drive to my home. It does not seem like there is a 24 hour vet care place nearby. He is not vomiting or throwing up. What do you think I should do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with Gabe today. **PLEASE NOTE: I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself.

Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay the following:

1. Can you find out if his gums are nice and pink, or are they pale?

2. Has someone checked his temperature? If not, you can use a digital rectal thermometer.

3. Any other symptoms? (non-productive retching, pacing, diarrhea, poor appetite, lethargy)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
His gums look OK, yes to lethargy and he is twitching while sleeping. Nose is warm, drinking a lot of water. He ate food tonight but over time, not quickly like usual. I am away in the mountains and so not have a thermometer but his nose is warm.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just want to know if it seems like I can wait till morning to do the drive to his regular vet. She is about three hours from here

OK, thank you for that info. If his gums were pale, I would say he needs to be seen ASAP. This may or may not be a relapse, it's hard to say. But it sounds certainly like something is off for him. If he is sleeping, not pacing, not vomiting, and still eating, I would say it is most likely OK to wait until tomorrow, but certainly do get him checked out as soon as you can in the morning to make sure it's not the beginning of a relapse or something else that requires treatment. I hope this has helped, please let me know if you have any other questions at this time.

And feel free to check back in tomorrow with an update- I am going to be going offline shortly, but will be checking back in intermittently throughout the day tomorrow!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks so much we made it thru the night

No problem, thanks for the update. I hope everything goes well today- let me know if any questions come up.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gabe. How is everything going?

Rebekah Kane