Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a Rat Terrier 10 years old, with a huge lump on her

Customer Question

I have a Rat Terrier 10 years old, with a huge lump on her side. In April I had it taken off (very expensive) the doctor took off an encapsulated lump and suggested it be sent out. Only another $150 dollars more. He did not offer to look at it himself. I elected to wait and see if it comes back. Before the stitches healed it came back. The doctor said I told you to have the specimen sent out, now it is so big again, there was nothing he can do. That was abut a month and a half ago, it is split, she keeps licking it and I tried to bandage it but she wont have it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. The most a vet can do in the hospital to check out a mass is to stick a needle into it to aspirate cells and look under the microscope. Even then, that isn't the same as having a veterinary pathologist look at it. There is limited training for doing this, unless you pursue a pathology residency. A biopsy is so much better because it allows you to look at the tissue architecture with the cells. It is far more accurate, but it requires special equipment to prepare and more extensive training to interpret accurately. It may help for your vet to aspirate it for cytology or take a smaller piece for a biopsy (better option) to see what it is and if it may be treatable with chemotherapy or radiation therapy; even if it is just to shrink it to make it easier to remove. I am not sure if this is the information you are looking for, so if you do have any questions in regards ***** ***** post, please let me know.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He charged me $100 dollars to aspirate a drop of blood out of it. After the operation he wanted another $150 to send it out. It is large and bleeding now and she keeps licking it. Her personality is ok and she is still eating. I guess I am wondering is it time to finish this. I am limited in funds.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is not going anywhere, I can not afford to have it taken off again. It is growing. I love her so much.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Well, if the mass has sore and is starting to bleed, that is not a good sign. That usually means it has outgrown its blood supply and will continue to either bleed or get infected. You can try to put a cone collar on her to stop the licking and see if the bleeding will stop that way. In my experience, though, when these masses start to get like that, most owners opt for humane euthanasia because of the mess it makes or because of the chronic infection that poses other health concerns. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Roxie. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I was following up to see how Roxie is doing and to see if you have any further questions.