Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

This appeared on my dog this evening. Could this be more

Customer Question

This appeared on my dog this evening. Could this be more than just a rash such as a bruise and some sort of poisoning?!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One side is round with a white center
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is that the only lesion you see on his skin?

Are there any pinpoint bruises on his gums?

What about any bruises on the white part of his eyes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that is the only lesion. No pinpoint bruises on his gums or eyes that I can see. Here's a better picture.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the information and better picture. It does look like a bruise. It is possible that it could be due to trauma, but there are some causes of bruising that can be serious. A blood clotting problem is possible and could be brought on by mouse or rat poison ingestion, ingestion of certain drugs (i.e.; aspirin and similar products), tick borne infections and immune mediated destruction of the body's own platelets. With tick transmitted diseases, then can destroy the platelets, but Lyme's disease can create a bruise or rash with a target appearance. The most recent picture you sent seems to have that appearance. I would definitely have him evaluated by your vet tomorrow to be on the safe side. If this is something like rat poison, the appearance of bruises means that the toxicity has advanced and needs to be treated ASAP. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.