Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 10 year old australian sheppard has always slept

Customer Question

Our 10 year old australian sheppard has always slept downstairs. Suddenly he has been coming upstairs to our bedroom. Also he has always barked after being outside wanting to come inside. The laaast week he seems content to lie down in the yard without barking.
I am concerned about this sudden change is behavioral.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an initial reply for you below.

1. This could go one of two ways, it could be for example that your dog has some form of chronic disease going on which is making him apprehensive and lethargic, I have known liver disease present like this in the early stages but of course there would be many other diagnostic possibilities. This is something you should consider.

2. The other sort of possibility is that this is some form of behavioural change related to ageing, this is not uncommon as dogs get older their character can change and in a few cases it can progress to an Alzheimer's Disease type situation. If this is the case then there are some measures your vet can suggest.

3. What to do about it? : Sadly there is little you can do on your own to help your dog on a home remedy basis, your best plan is have your vet check him over and then take it from there.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Shelley,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect behavioural changes ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Shelley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?