Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Dachshund vomited up food this morning. Have small amount of

Customer Question

Dachshund vomited up food this morning. Have small amount of food...vomited again. Acting normal playing and normal stoll. Tolerated ice and water all day but when given food tonight vomited again.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dachshund eat anything unusual?
Customer: Unsure. He returned from being boarded forv5 days
JA: What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Louie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Louie?
Customer: 10 years old. Had a slight rash on stomach when we picked him up
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

My name is***** am a UC Davis graduate, former Medical Director of a corporate practice, and currently a owner of a veterinary hospital.

Please remember to select, Reply to Expert, if for any reason youneed further clarification or have a follow up question. When finished, I greatly appreciate when you select a feedback rating to close the question for me.

I am currently working on my response to your question. It may take just a few minutes. Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

Repeated vomiting in this period of time is concerning to me.

Vomiting causes can include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s
- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

Not sure about the rash? Surprised the boarding facility didn't mention something. Ideally, this is the time when I vote for boarding at vet hospitals because generally it is the technicians walking and caring for the pets so they can catch problems and call you ahead of time.

I would not offer any food for 12 hours.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. (due to extended release tablets, this is not always a good choice since it can take over 24 hours before its of any benefit)
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Pepcid would be my favorite from above.

With the recent boarding, I just don't know if this is some how stress related, perhaps a acute change in diet related, or something else.

This is well worth a vet visit and I would even consider an ER trip tonight if the vomiting persists, even if nothing is coming up.

Hope that information helps

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Plan on vet visit tomorrow if vomiting persist. Che is running around right now withbtail wagging, and has been able to hold down ice. Had a typical bowel movement about 45 minutes ago. He also begging for food. I view these as good signs that he is not in acute distress, and does not need pet we. Am I misreading these as positive signs?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

Positive yes but does not rule-out that there isn't still a internal concern including foreign body ingestion.

Close monitoring for sure. Any further vomiting even if non producing anything, labored or difficult breathing, or a tense or distended abdomen all indicate a need for emergency care.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 month ago.

I hope everything is going okay?