Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog cant poop hes trying so hard but nothing but a few

Customer Question

My dog cant poop hes trying so hard but nothing but a few drops of light brown liquid
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Willie hes 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Willie?
Customer: We just got him 2 days ago
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your Willie has loose stools. Unfortunately he is straining due to colonic spasms and not constipation so we need to treat the diarrhea not issues with the inability to defecate. It is quite common after adoption due to stress causing the gut to become hypermotile

I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with her digestive tract but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken but waiting 4-6 hours after the straining has subsided to begin this regimen in small more frequent meals
- Take Willie on a walk, leash walks will help reduce the spasms and hopefully get him comfortable
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your new adoption is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I wanted to check in on Willie to see how he is feeling after we spoke? I would love an update when you are able.

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Hi Maggie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman