Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

My dog keeps licking the floor with tail between her legs

Customer Question

my dog keeps licking the floor with tail between her legs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with Charlotte today. **PLEASE NOTE: I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself.

Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay the following:

1. How long has this behavior been going on?

2. Does she have any know health conditions?

3. Is she on any other medications?

4. Any other symptoms (vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, abnormal odors, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a few hrs
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you there and how long the wait thank you

OK, thanks for that additional information. Unfortunately, the symptoms you describe with her licking the floor with her tail between her legs is a bit vague to pinpoint a specific disease process or problem. however, the first thing that comes to mind is that it may be possible she is experiencing a problem with her anal sacs. The anal sacs are rudimentary scent glands present in dogs and cats. They are located just inside the anus, and secrete a fishy or metallic pungent smelling fluid. Sometimes they can become inflamed or infected, and can cause discomfort, and leakage, which perhaps could explain both of her symptoms.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that some pets lick the floor when they feel the sensation of nausea- so if she has an upset stomach for whatever reason, this could explain her symptoms.

At this point, my recommendation is to first off, keep an eye out for any additional symptoms that may clue us in further to a potential problem. You may want to offer a bland diet just in case she is experiencing nausea, instead of her regular dog food tonight. You can give plain white boiled rice and white chicken breast. If her symptoms persist tomorrow, or you notice anything additional, feel free to get back in touch with me, or get her in to be checked out with her veterinarian.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK I have heard that this could be a turned stomach problem does this sound familiar to you? She alrady had her normal dinner

Does she appear to be attempting to vomit, retch or "dry heave"?

And does her belly appear enlarged, tense or bloated in any way?

I believe what you are referring to is GDV (gastric dilatation-volvulus), also know as "bloat". GDV is a life-threatening condition where the stomach literally turns on its axis, causing restriction of blood supply to the stomach and spleen, and if left untreated, can cause death of the stomach tissue due to lack of blood supply and oxygen to its cells. It is much more common in deep chested, large breed dogs, which, as a standard poodle, Charlotte definitely falls into.

Typically with GDV, there are often obvious signs of extreme discomfort, and usually attempts to vomit which are unsuccessful or only produce saliva or foam.

What you can do at this time, is to see if she will take a few of her favorite treats, or a small amount of dog food. If she eats it readily, and keeps it down, it is not possible that her stomach is twisted at this time. If she refuses to eat anything, it is possible that she may be experiencing nausea or other abdominal discomfort, which COULD be the early stages of GDV, or it could be something far less serious. In the case she refuses to eat anything, I would consider getting her checked out tonight just to make sure it is not something serious like GDV that would require emergency intervention. If she does eat something readily, you are probably safe to wait it out and keep an eye on her overnight, then take her in if she still isn't quite right by tomorrow. I hope this has helped! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance :)

Hi there, just wanted to check in and see how everything turned out for Charlotte?