Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

She has hip displacia and is in pain. I can't get her to the

Customer Question

She has hip displacia and is in pain. I can't get her to the vet until 9/20th trying to finalize a safe over the counter pain reliever for her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Thank you. Her name is ***** ***** is 10.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: No other than that she is healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justasnwer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Daisy in in pain. I definitely would try to get in prior to two weeks out, even if it is a drop off so that she can get on safer pain medications than over the counter

The only safe over the counter pain medications is aspirin

An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.

You can also use massage in a circular pattern over the area as well as rotate warm and cool compresses in 10 minute intervals if she will allow it

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Daisy since you asked your question? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Hi Freda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman