Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog got hit in the eye, it looks like the eye had a blood

Customer Question

My dog got hit in the eye, it looks like the eye had a blood vessel pop. Should I take him in?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear about your dog. Can you please answer a few additional questions today:
- Breed and age
- What part of the eye is red, is it general red or localized
- Is he rubbing or closing the eye

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Labrador retriever, 1.5 years old, the entire eyeball is red, looks like it's a little sunken. He's not scratching at it or looking like it's in pain

Can you see through the cornea or is it hazy/ red?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hazy, but still visible

If the cornea is hazy then please find a veterinary clinic today, I wouldn't wait until tomorrow in case there is a corneal ulceration or bleeding into the anterior chamber of the eye as this really should be evaluated sooner rather than later

Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If the eye is white on the outer edges but it looks like there is blood in the colored part should I still go in?

Moreso. If the white was red then this is similar to a black eye but if the blood is in the colored part this is where I would advise the exam. Sorry I know you would prefer to wait but the inside of the eye is bleeding and this can cause an increase in pressure within the eye. The reason the eye is retracted is pain. Even though he isn't showing any outward sign of pain this is the body's automatic response to pain within the globe

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I will be taking a dinner break in the next 20 minutes

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Good morning I wanted to check in on your dog to see how that eye is looking? I would love an update when you are able...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman