Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

I have a 10 month old labrador. She vomited a lot of her

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 10 month old labrador. She vomited a lot of her food almost 8-9 hours after eating. In the meantime, she had regular bowel movements. Since vomiting, she has been refusing food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Nope. we have been around the whole day, so she was supervised. Nothing unusual apart from her usual food in the morning
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Raiena
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Raiena?
Customer: She is on raw food diet, used to have a lot of diarrhoea on kibble long back when she was 3-4 months old. So we switched her diet to raw and she has been fine since. We haven't really had any digestive issues since. She is updated on her vaccines and deworming
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet Raiena today. **PLEASE NOTE: I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself.

Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay the following:

1. When you say she is updated on her vaccines- can you tell me when the last 2 distemper/parvo (DHPP) vaccines were given?

2. When was the last dewormer given?

3. Can you describe the diet (home cooked vs commercial raw food, ingredients, etc)

4. How long ago was the vomiting episode and how long since she last ate?

5. Was the vomit mostly undigested food, or liquid?

6. Any chance she ingested some out of the ordinary food item (bones, corn cobs, etc) or non-food items (garbage, plastic objects, toys, etc)?

7. Is she on a monthly heart worm/intestinal parasite preventative such as

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1. She got her DHPP vaccines in Feb 2016 when she was 4 months old
2. The last dewormer was also given in Feb 2016
3. We feed her K9Kraving raw food, chicken and turkey formula. Following are some more details about the food:
4. The vomiting episode took place at 4pm ET (so about 6.5 hours back). She had her morning meal at 7.00am today. SHe refused to eat anything after that. Her bowel movements were regular until noon, but she had loose motions after vomiting at around 6pm
5. The vomiting was liquid, but was mostly her food. It was probably not undigested because undigested food would be much thicker and would include bigger chunks
6. Very unlikely as were at home most of the time and she was under constant supervision
7. Yes, she is on heartworm. We missed the last two monthly doses, but had been regular with it before that

Hello again, and thank you for that additional information!

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppies can be due to several possible causes.

Some of the most common causes include:

1. Bacteria, virus, or parasite. This can range from a simple bacterial or viral infection that causes transitory symptoms that resolve in a day or 2, to more sever life-threatening infections that require medical intervention. Dogs can easily pick up any of the above just from being outdoors and eating grass/animal feces, drinking water from puddles, ponds, or streams, or just from licking their paws after being outside. The most severe intestinal viral infection in puppies are parvovirus and distemper, both of which are highly unlikely in adequately vaccinated individuals. In order to be fully protected, I do recommend at least 2 vaccines a month apart, with the last one falling no earlier than 16 weeks of age.

Another potential source of bacterial infection could be through the food itself. Unfortunately, the risk of this (particularly salmonellosis and e.coli) is much higher with raw meat diets. Although most raw food diet companies are stringent in their preparation protocols, the risk still exists.

2. Ingestion of a foreign object- this seems less likely since you have been keeping such a close eye on her, but not outside the realm of possibility. Sometimes they can be quite sneaky about it! I once had a dog who I found out was a sneaky sock eater and would steal them out of the laundry basket in my closet. Fortunately, she vomited them up on her own, and did not require surgical intervention...but they can get stuck and cause huge problems and I have had to remove socks and other objects surgically in more than a few dogs.

3. Ingestion of a plant or other substance that is irritating to the sensitive lining of the stomach.

There are several other less common causes, too many to list here. Since it has just been one episode of vomiting, and her appetite loss has been less than one day, my recommendations are the following:

1. Do not offer any more food tonight

2. Give her a Pepcid AC tablet (famotidine) 10 mg to soothe her stomach

3. In the morning, offer a meal of boiled white rice and fully cooked white chicken breast, about 1/2 of her normal serving size. If she eats it, you can offer another similar-sized meal 6-8 hours later. If she doesn't eat, or starts vomiting again, she will need to be seen by her veterinarian.

4. Either way, bring in a fresh stool sample to her veterinarian tomorrow, to be tested for parasites, so that they can be ruled out.

I hope this has helped, please feel free to continue correspondence if you need additional assistance or clarification. I will be going offline soon for the evening, but will be checking back in tomorrow intermittently :)

Hi there, just wanted to check in and see how everything turned out for Raiena?