Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

She may have eaten a 40 MG Benicar. Should I be worried?

Customer Question

She may have eaten a 40 MG Benicar. Should I be worried ?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: Suggestions ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No. She is a healthy 3 year old Schnauzer.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she took Benicar?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is about 15-17 lb, I believe. No more than 20 lbs.
It's been about 45 minutes to an hour.
I don't have any H2O2
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 month ago.

Friend, with the ingestion of Benicar the concern is hypotension (decrease blood pressure). But, in dogs, we usually don't see hypotension until the dose is at 20mg/kg or above. In this case, your dog took a dose of 5.8mg/kg; unlikely for this to cause hypotension or be life threatening. I would not worry it is very likely she is going to be okay. But, as a precaution I would keep an eye on her for the next 12 hours, if you notice lethargy, anorexia, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked by ER veterinarian for supportive care.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.