petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My dog just took wellbutrin 150 mp and I am at the ER Vet.

Customer Question

My dog just took wellbutrin 150 mp and I am at the ER Vet. They are really busy here today and the doc asked that I do research to see what the treatment is for it. ;-) A bit odd, but... His vitals are checking out ok now. He was lathargic this morning and would not eat his favorite treat. His an an 11 month old, 8 pound morkiet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: East Easton
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about East Easton?
Customer: He also tried to enjoy an insect trap this morning. Got quite a good licking on it. He got into someone's bag for the pill about 24 hours ago. He was hyped up yesterday as I was watching to see how it would effect him. Only this morning did I start to see him stumble in walking and twitching.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds. He literally just was off balance and stumbling, drunk like.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Easton today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

Just to clarify, when was the Wellbutrin ingested? 24 hours ago or just recently?

Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

What kind insect trap was it? Do you know he name of it so I can look up the ingredients?

Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

The 150 mg is generally an extended release, so signs might be delayed for lethargy, agitation, tremors, hypersalivation, dysphoria. If there are still signs of nervous system stimulation, Cyproheptadine may help, but in general, supportive care as needed.

Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

I agree that is it odd that the veterinarian ask you that and would make me a little skeptical. If you want to enlist the expertise of a toxicology specialist, there are a few options for you to pursue.

ASPCA(###) ###-####/p>

As the premier animal poison control center in North America, the ASPCA is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They have a large number of veterinarians and toxicologists on staff and are the best source of information. They will have the most current data as far as toxic doses or dangerous combinations of drugs. The charge to call us is $60 per case and they provide a follow up # and case number ***** you or your veterinarian can call them back on, any number of times (even a year later if needed)at no additional charge. Keep in mind that some products are covered by the manufacturer so the cost of the call may be covered by them. There number is(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz